In my last post I wrote about handling critique. Now I have to face reality... My WIP is a quiet story about two sisters who go on a camping trip, not an epic journey across America.
* Great dialogue
* Well developed family relationships
* Beautiful setting description
* Interesting supporting characters
* Well-written small moments
* Main character isn't distinct
* It's an adventure story without much adventure
How did this happen?
Well, the story is based on a camping trip I took with my own family in 1982. While I changed some characters, introduced new characters, and changed the motivation behind the trip, I had so much fun researching the real trip that I forced the story line into the setting instead of allowing the story to take its own path. My story map was an actual map made on mapquest.
What to do now?
Take to re-plot, rethink, and get to know my character a bit better. Why is she on this trip?
And then I can decide if this is a story I need to tell or if the book is just a memory best written for my own family.