- for my two kids who seem to get taller and wiser every day
- for my husband who has kept me laughing for 19 years (even if those two kids claim he's not funny)
- for my family who always give me love and support
- for my friends for the same reason
- for the teachers I work with who keep me sane, even when life gets insane
- for my students who teach me as much as I teach them
- for my writing community for our shared love of kidlit
- for my critique partners for letting me know when I've gotten it, and when I haven't
- for SCBWI for connecting me with an amazing community of writers, authors, agents, and editors
- for my agent, who lets me send her my work in progress and promises to get back to me after the holidays with a couple of thoughts, then sends me a page of notes two hours later
- for that same agent and her amazing boss for believing in my work
- for power, for shelter, for health, and for water because the past month has shown that these things shouldn't be taken for granted
- for freedom, for safety, and for so many more things that are too numerous to list.
I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving.