Welcome

This is the blog of children's book author and elementary school teacher, Stacy Barnett Mozer. I blog about my own writing journey, the journey of other kidlit authors, my classroom, and talk about books. Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are always welcome (and encouraged).

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Why I Attend BEA

As a teacher, writer, blogger, and book lover, there are many reasons I attend Book Expo America. With only two days until I attend, I've decided to share my reasons for going with you.

As a teacher:
When I started teaching, reading was taught with class sets of books. A classroom library was nice to have, but not a necessity. I always had a nice classroom library, but it was mostly used for pleasure reading. In the past fifteen years, that has dramatically changed. If you come to my classroom now, you will see an extensive library that contains both fiction and nonfiction. At no point are more than five kids reading the same book, and that is only during book talk units. Most of the time each child is self-selecting just right novels from a leveled bin. A student may stay in the same level for three months or more, so each level has to have a wide variety. In order to confer with students successfully, I try to read the books, or at least a title in each series. 

Why do I go to BEA as a teacher? To find new books to add to my classroom library and to meet authors who will inspire them to read. I also go to find new authors and new classroom resources and materials. I also go to connect to teacher and librarian friends from around the country.

Events I hope to attend:

11:00 am - 11:30 am
Uptown Stage
11:00 am - 11:50 am
1E12/1E13
1:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Uptown Stage


As a writer:
Part of our education as writers is to understand the market. A great way to see that market is going to BEA. Publishers have booths where they show off their current and new reads. You'll also see writers, agents, and editors walking around the floor. As I mentioned in my previous post, this is not a time to pitch your book, but it is a good place to network and spend time with book people. I hope to see many friends.

Events I hope to attend:
12:00 pm - 12:30 pm
Uptown Stage


As a reader:
I will pick up middle grade reads as a teacher. I search out new YA as a reader. Many of my favorite series were first handed to me at BEA. I have a list of new and next books I hope to find. 

Events I hope to attend:
10:00 am - 10:30 am
Uptown Stage


As a book blogger:
Going as a book blogger is new for me. My new group blog, Sporty Girl Books, is launching on June 1st. As a book blogger I hope to make connections and to publicize the blog. In order to build readership, we are holding a giveaway during the month of June, ending on June 23, the anniversary of Title IX. I also hope to pick up swag that I can add to our giveaway.

Those are the reasons I go to BEA. Why will you be there? (Or why won't you?)

1 comment:

  1. So jealous! =) I'd love to get to go one day. But no moo-lah, a full time job and a kidlet are stopping me. Hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete

You know you have something to say...