Welcome

This is the blog of children's book author and elementary school teacher, Stacy Barnett Mozer. I blog about my own writing journey, the journey of other kidlit authors, my classroom, and talk about books. Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are always welcome (and encouraged).

Monday, April 24, 2017

#IMWAYR April 24, 2017 & Poetry Month Post 4


Each week I join Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki from Unleashing Readers to share all of the reading I've done over the week from picture books to young adult novels. I am also an author and last week I was honored to see the first novel in my two book series, The Sweet Spot, reviewed by Kellee at Unleashing Readers. This week she reviewed the The Perfect Trip. Make sure to head over there to see the reviews and to connect with all the other amazing book bloggers who post each week. 

April is Poetry Month so I have started each post in April with a favorite poetry book and a novel in verse. Last week I interviewed Ted Scheu, one of my favorite poets for children. Make sure to stop back on Thursday when I share my interview with Laura Shovan, poet and author of The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary School. It's #IMWAYR.



Poetry


This wonderful new book of poetry from Kwame Alexander celebrates poets.



Novel in Verse (Young Adult)


This young adult novel in verse takes on the delicate subject of living through the consequences of big decisions.



Middle Grade


In this dystopian future water is scarce, people are suffering and many children are living abandoned in cities. When Devin learns of a place that children can go to live better lives, he jumps on the chance to get there. But things at the home are not what they seem and Devin realizes that he may have been safer on his own. An enjoyable, though slightly disturbing read. I would consider it more of a young YA than a middle grade.


_______________________________


Stacy Barnett Mozer is a third grade teacher and a middle grade author. The Sweet Spot and The Perfect Trip are available now from Spellbound River Press. If you like what she's been reading follow her on Goodreads. Please leave a comment below. It's Monday, what are you reading?

8 comments:

  1. Ask Me How I Got Here looks interesting!
    Out of Wonder really was quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have a few readers asking for dystopian novels. My favorite it still Walters Rule of Three. I can see that one actually happening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard of that one. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe Poetry Month is almost over! :'( At least we can keep sharing amazing poetry all year long.

    I need a copy of Out of Wonder in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as I get the rest of my reading life under control, I'm hoping to get to Out of Wonder. Of course, I'm not sure that I willever really get my reading life under control....

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited to hear about your novels - We will definitely check them out on Unleashing Readers. Out of Wonder is sitting on the top of our TBR pile - Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for listing Kwame's new title. Until just recently, I did not know of his books! Quite honestly, the genre of poetry is not one I have spent much time in outside of Shel Silverstein. Thankfully I have a teacher friend who is a poet herself, and is coming alongside me to encourage me in better understanding and embracing poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been seeing The One Safe Place around and I am most definitely intrigued. I have reserved Out of Wonder from our library, and looking forward to reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete

You know you have something to say...