Welcome

This is the blog of children's book author and elementary school teacher, Stacy Barnett Mozer. I blog about my own writing journey, the journey of other kidlit authors, my classroom, and talk about books. Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are always welcome (and encouraged).

Monday, September 17, 2018

#IMWAYR September 17, 2018


Each week I try to join Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee from Unleashing Readers to share all of the reading I've done over the week from picture books to young adult novels. 

Here's what I read this week:

Middle Grade


Fantasy meets science fiction in this series by James Riley. Owen wants life to be more exciting so when he notices his classmate Bethany reach into a copy of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and pull out some chocolate, he thinks he finally found a way to make things more interesting. He convinces Bethany to take him into his favorite series, a Harry Potter meets the Matrix world of action and adventure. But when the characters escape, things get much more interesting than Owen anticipated. Told from multiple points of view, HP fans and book lovers will enjoy this one.


Young Adult (Mature Audiences)


Have you ever wanted to live a different life? When Donetella manipulated her sister Scarlett to enter the game of Caraval to escape their abusive father and a forced marriage, she knew she was doing the right thing. After all, Caraval is a world of make-believe and everything that happened to Scarlett was a game. But now, in this second book the first game is over and it's Donetella's turn to play. But this time the stakes are higher and death in this game may be real. Fans of the first Caraval will find that there are many more layers to the game than first suspected. I can't wait for book three.


The stakes are not as high in the fourth book of Sarah J. Maas's Court of Thorn and Roses series, but you get to know more about the characters from the previous books. Told in multiple points of view, this book satisfies those missing Ferye, Ryland, and their court. I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen to them next.


 This book is the satisfying conclusion to the Unwind series. I can't say much more without giving things away.
_______________


Stacy Barnett Mozer is a teacher and a middle grade author. If you like what she's been reading follow her on Goodreads. Please leave a comment below. 

It's Monday, what are you reading?

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Caraval but am hesitant to pick up the sequel. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Neal Shusterman's books, glad to hear you enjoyed Undivided. The others sound good, too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was unaware of the Story Thieves series. It definitely looks like a good one to check out. Thanks for sharing and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to dive into both the Caraval and Court of Thorn and Roses series, but I need the TIME to do so (because I like to go from one to the next in succession). Thanks so much for sharing these insights. Have a wonderful reading week, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Story Thieves is a book I never got around to reading. I really should pick it up. I know kids who've read it and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Story Thieves sounds a lot like Cornelia Funke's Inkworld series.
    I haven't read any of the Unwind series. I guess I should do something about this....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am definitely in mourning over the end of the Court Of series. I know they are continuing, but won't be quite the same. I love those characters.
    I bought the first Caraval book. Looks like I need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neal Shusterman has so many series, I can't keep track of them any longer. I have yet to start Scythe, and now I see there's another series! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Story Thieves sounds so intriguing - we love your description. What age groups do you think should read it?

    ReplyDelete

You know you have something to say...