Welcome

This is the blog of children's book author and elementary school teacher, Stacy Barnett Mozer. I blog about my own writing journey, the journey of other kidlit authors, my classroom, and talk about books. Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are always welcome (and encouraged).

Monday, June 12, 2017

#IMWAYR June 12, 2017


It's June! I can't believe that the school year is almost over. Each week I join Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki from Unleashing Readers to share all of the reading I've done over the week from picture books to young adult novels. I will continue to do this over the summer to share my summer reading as I move positions from 3rd grade teacher to 2nd - 5th grade advance learning english language arts and science teacher.

Here's what I read this week:

Middle Grade


I really enjoyed the first in this fantasy series by Linda Sue Park. Raffa has a gift for being an apothecary but when he discovers a new plant in the woods that changes the behavior of animals he learns that some actions have unforeseen consequences and that not everyone will use a new discovery for good.


A Long Walk to Water is based on the true story of eleven year old Salva who becomes a Lost Boy of Sudan after his school is attacked by armed rebels. It is a beautiful story that needs to be read with tissues on hand. I don't see how anyone can read it without needing to find a way to give money to help the real Salva bring water to Sudan - a project I plan to do with my 5th graders after we read the book next year. A Long Walk to Water is also a Global Read Aloud book for 2017.

Young Adult


I picked up an advanced reader copy of Reign the Earth at Book Expo. This new series by A. C. Gaughen has all of the deceit, romance, and intrigue of her Scarlet series. I can't wait for the next one.


Come back to the blog tomorrow to see what my third graders have been reading on #BookTalkTuesday!
_______________________________


Stacy Barnett Mozer is a third grade teacher and a middle grade author. The Sweet Spot and The Perfect Trip are available now from Spellbound River Press. If you like what she's been reading follow her on Goodreads. Please leave a comment below. It's Monday, what are you reading?

5 comments:

  1. A Long Walk to Water is very popular in my library, and I'm interested to see what the third book in Forest of Wonders brings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own both Linda Sue Park books, but sad to say I have yet to read them! A.C. Vaughn is a new to me author!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda Sue Park has such great range, she can write so beautifully in so many different styles - funnily enough I just shared a picture book she wrote on Instagram this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoyed the first in Forest of Wonders series, and didn't even know there was more until reading Karen's comment above. Whoppee I now have the second, Cavern of Secrets, ready to listen to this week.
    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Long Walk to Water is fantastic. I didn't know about the fantasy series by Park. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

You know you have something to say...