Welcome

This is the blog of children's book author and elementary school teacher, Stacy Barnett Mozer. I blog about my own writing journey, the journey of other kidlit authors, my classroom, and talk about books. Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are always welcome (and encouraged).

Monday, July 23, 2018

#IMWAYR #30BookSummer July 23, 2018


Each week I try to join Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee from Unleashing Readers to share all of the reading I've done over the week from picture books to young adult novels. In addition to discussing books on Monday, I'll also be counting them! Check out #30booksummer on twitter to see what others are reading for this challenge.

Book # 8 Picture Book


I adore this book about a grandfather and grandson finding common ground through art. No spoilers, but make sure to take the jacket off the book after you finish reading it. I can't wait to share this one with my students.

Book # 9 Middle Grade Fiction


When Amal has to stay home from school to help her mother with her new baby, she thinks it's the worst thing that could happen to her - until she accidentally insults the big man in town and is forced to become an indentured servant. Set in Pakistan, this story takes on issues of forced servitude and the rights of women. It's no wonder it is a Global Read Aloud book of 2018. 

Book # 10 Middle Grade Historical Fiction


I was thrilled to get an advanced reader copy of this book at the Scholastic #ReadingSummit last week because I've heard so much about it and love Jennifer A. Nielsen. It didn't disappoint. When Chaya's family is forced to move into a ghetto in Poland, she quickly decides she can't wait around to be killed or taken away like her younger brother and sister. Instead she joins the resistance, risking her life to help Jewish people in ghettos all over Poland. Based on true acts of resistance and heroism during the Nazi occupation. Resistance releases on August 28.

Book # 11 Middle Grade Fiction


This book has been on my TBR list for a long time. GiGi has a recipe for everything left to her in a cookbook from her mom. When she and her sister DiDi move to a new town and GiGi starts to make friends (and enemies) she starts to question what she knows about her mom, which leads her on a path of family and self-discovery. A wonderful coming of age novel.

Book # 12 Young Adult Fantasy/Science Fiction


I'm a big fan of dragons, so I was surprised to have missed this series. Trinity thinks her biggest problem is making sure her grandfather doesn't spend all their money, especially when he pays for a dragon's egg. Dragons are creatures of myth, or so Trinity thinks until she is visited by two twins from the future. One is there to kill her before she releases dragons into the world. The other to help dragons save it. But neither boy knows the truth about the past, Trinity, and what they've been told. They will both risk it all for the girl and her dragon.




_______________


Stacy Barnett Mozer is a teacher and a middle grade author. If you like what she's been reading follow her on Goodreads. Please leave a comment below. 

It's Monday, what are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. Well the title The Truth About Twinkie Pie has me very curious to read this book. Do they include a recipe for Twinkie pie in the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely adding Resistance to my list. This one sounds fantastic! Thanks for all the shares this week, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've loved Jennifer Nielsen's books, so looking forward to this new one! You're the fourth to share Amal Unbound. Seems like we had a book club this week. It is amazing! And I loved Drawn Together, too! Thanks, Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Resistance was really action packed. Definitely buying that for the 8th grade WWII unit, and know it will be popular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished Amal Unbound this week also. It is a fabulous choice for the global read aloud. I'm mixed about Jennifer Nielsen's books. Sometimes I love them, but at other times they are too brutal for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Amal Unbound this Spring and found it so engaging. I can't wait to see what happens when kids all over the world read it as a GRA book!

    ReplyDelete

You know you have something to say...