Welcome

This is the blog of children's book author and elementary school teacher, Stacy Barnett Mozer. I blog about my own writing journey, the journey of other kidlit authors, my classroom, and talk about books. Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are always welcome (and encouraged).

Monday, October 9, 2017

#IMWAYR October 9, 2017


Each week I join Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee from Unleashing Readers to share all of the reading I've done over the week from picture books to young adult novels. 

As a first-round panelist for the middle grade Cybils category, I have a ton of books that jumped to the top of my TBR list. I'm also still reading books for school. 

Here's what I read this week:

Middle Grade


This historical fiction novel takes place at the end of segregation. At the end of the summer Charlie learns that his local friends have all changed schools because his local school "is going downhill." Turns out downhill means the school is being desegregated. Armstrong is one of the boys who will be bused in. Told from alternating points of view, you may want tissues for this one. I would recommend this for an older middle grade reader because of the descriptions of first kisses.


Four lives come together in this book about fate and friendship. When Virgil gets trapped at the bottom of the well trying to rescue his pet guinea pig, he thinks hope is lost. Fortunately the universe is sending some new friends to find him.


This book felt familiar - girl starts middle school and her best friend is becomes friends with someone else and is acting older, which leaves the main character behind. In this friendship story, the new friend is a bully who targets Karma's food and the hairs growing on her face in order to widen the gap between Karma and her former best friend. I thought the mustache was an interesting element in this story. I would have liked to see Karma struggle a little more with the issue of being half Sikh and wanting to cut her hair. 



I'm so glad I included this book in my 4th grade character study because it forced me to read it again and it's a book I have loved since I was in middle school. Bradley Chalkers is the school bully and the bad behavior kid. Nobody likes him, and he doesn't like them. That is until a new school counselor and a new student named Jeff challenge Bradley's reality and make him wonder whether he could be the kid in the class with the gold stars. If you loved Wonder, Fish in a Tree, and Finding Perfect, you will love this book.



This book is also part of my 4th grade character study. Edward Tulane is a fine porcelain rabbit who thinks very highly of himself, his clothing, and his pocket watch. He thinks very little about anything else. When he is accidentally thrown overboard and is found and owned by a series of adults and children, he starts to learn what it truly means to love and to be loved.

_______________________________


Stacy Barnett Mozer is a teacher and a middle grade author. If you like what she's been reading follow her on Goodreads. Please leave a comment below. 

It's Monday, what are you reading?

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Hello, Universe and Kharma Khullar. Edward Tulane is very popular with fourth graders. Never read the Louis Sachar book, but I should probably put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are looking forward to reading Hello, Universe. Sounds like a story 4th graders will love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edward Tulane is an old favorite. I'm glad you reminded me of it. I still need to read Hello Universe, but it's on my list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom being popular when I was a middle schooler. Louis Sachar is such a great author!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were a busy reader! Armstrong and Charlie has been on my list for so long now! I've heard the same review from others - older audiences!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved Armstrong and Charlie and can attest that the period details were spot on. Could have used a few mentions of Wacky Packs, but otherwise good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Erin Kelly's Land of Forgotten Girls, so am glad to see she has a new middle grade novel. Looking forward to finding it.

    ReplyDelete

You know you have something to say...