Welcome

This is the blog of children's book author and elementary school teacher, Stacy Barnett Mozer. I blog about my own writing journey, the journey of other kidlit authors, my classroom, and talk about books. Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are always welcome (and encouraged).

Monday, November 27, 2017

#IMWAYR November 27, 2017


Each week I join Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee from Unleashing Readers to share all of the reading I've done over the week from picture books to young adult novels. 

My Cybils reading continued this week. I am so amazed by how many incredible middle grade historical and realistic fiction books were published in 2017.

Here's what I read this week:

Middle Grade


Caleb has lived his life with cystic fibrosis, a disease where your lungs fill with fluid. His parents, brother, and even his best friend are so hyper focbused on keeping him safe, he never has a chance to experience the world. When he meets Kit, a wild girl who lives in the woods with her mother, he starts to take risks and be independent. But Kit's independence comes with its own set of problems. A wonderful story about friendship and coming of age.



David is a middle child stuck between a brilliant older sister and a severely autistic younger brother. He considers eating his ability to eat large sums of food quickly his biggest asset. When he accidentally buys something online for two thousand dollars, he thinks it is eating that will get him out of trouble. As David prepares to win $5000 at a pizza eating contest, he spends his days taking care of his brother and figuring out his rules. The book is about discovering your self-worth. 


This sequel to The War That Saved My Life is as good or better than the first book. Ada's mother has died and she and her brother are living her guardian Susan.  Even though Ada's club foot has been surgically corrected, she still has trouble believing that she deserves to love and be loved. As she fights her own personal war, she is also affected by the real war around her, losing more loved ones and getting to know a Jewish German girl named Ruth who has more reason to hate Hitler and the war than she does. 

_______________


Stacy Barnett Mozer is a teacher and a middle grade author. If you like what she's been reading follow her on Goodreads. Please leave a comment below. 

It's Monday, what are you reading?

5 comments:

  1. I loved all three of these books! A sequel isn't always as good as the first, but in the case of The War I Finally Won it definitely is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have got to read The War I Finally Won. We loved the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caleb and Kit sounds like such a good read! I must add it to my TBR stack, which grows daily! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these books are in my piles somewhere! I so want to get to WAR and there are just so many books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so looking forward to The War that Saved my Life. Everyone I talk to says it is better than the first!

    ReplyDelete

You know you have something to say...