Welcome

This is the blog of children's book author and elementary school teacher, Stacy Barnett Mozer. I blog about my own writing journey, the journey of other kidlit authors, my classroom, and talk about books. Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are always welcome (and encouraged).

Monday, September 3, 2018

#IMWAYR September 3, 2018


Each week I try to join Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee from Unleashing Readers to share all of the reading I've done over the week from picture books to young adult novels. 

Last week was my first week back at school, thought most of the time was spent in staff development and with classroom setup. My students asked for a fantasy themed room this year so, with some help from Pinterest, here's what I came up with:






Tomorrow I get to share the room with my students. I can't wait for them to see it!

Here' what I read this week:

Picture Book

A beautiful book that tells the amazing story of how Malala learning to use her pencil and her voice to change the world.


I love this book about the importance of dreaming big.

Middle Grade


Emmie feels invisible at school. Katie is the popular kid. On this one particular day at school their lives will touch and readers will be surprised how it ends. Graphic novel.


Penelope is easily embarrassed so when she falls down and is helped up by a school nerd, she is quick to push him away instead of being teased. But the moment haunts her and motivates her to find a way to seek common ground when her art club and the boy's science club go to war. Graphic Novel with incredible end pages that explain how the author wrote and illustrated the book. Can't wait to use this to start a graphic novel writing unit this year.

Young Adult


In the future The Big Water has destroyed most of the world, but those living on the Navajo reservation survived. Now called the Dinetah, they survive in the new world among reborn gods and monsters. Maggie is a monster hunter, her clan powers woken when she is almost killed by a monster as a child. Convinced her power is also making her evil, she hunts alone until a medicine boy named Kai changes what she knows about herself and her world.


_______________


Stacy Barnett Mozer is a teacher and a middle grade author. If you like what she's been reading follow her on Goodreads. Please leave a comment below. 

It's Monday, what are you reading?

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I loved Happy Dreamer -- such a wonderful message with sweet illustrations. I haven't yet read Malala's Magic Pencil, but I hope to very soon. Thank you for all the shares, Stacy, and have a wonderful reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving all your shares.. and will check out the middle school reads with my girl..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Dreamer looks great. I enjoyed reading Awkward several years back and paired it with Roller Girl. :)

    ReplyDelete

You know you have something to say...