Welcome

This is the blog of children's book author and elementary school teacher, Stacy Barnett Mozer. I blog about my own writing journey, the journey of other kidlit authors, my classroom, and talk about books. Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are always welcome (and encouraged).

Monday, April 3, 2017

#IMWAYR April 3, 2017 and Poetry Month Post 1


Each week I try to join Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki from Unleashing Readers to share all of the reading I've done over the week from picture books to young adult novels. I was also reminded this morning that it is poetry month, so each week in April I will share a favorite poetry book and a novel in verse. It's #IMWAYR.




Poetry




If you teach kids or have kids and haven't heard of Ted Scheu, you should look him up right away. His school poems cover topics from homework to kids who call out in class. They will make you laugh until you cry.


Novel in Verse



I shared this book on a previous post but it is worth sharing it again during poetry month. When the students in Ms. Hill's Fifth Grade Class learn that their school is closing at the end of the year, they each have a different reaction. Told in rhyme in eighteen diverse voices, this book is about so much more than the closing of a school It's about friendship, adjusting to change, the encouragement of an amazing teacher, and most of all, it's about finding your own voice. A definite must read.

Picture Book



It's another "must be shared with kids" picture book from Peter H. Reynolds. Like The Dot and Ish, Happy Dreamer encourages children to embrace the way they see the world. Don't tell my son, but I will be getting this book for him to celebrate his 8th grade graduation because it's a perfect moment to encourage big dreams.


Middle Grade


I really enjoyed this dark, middle grade historical fantasy by Catherine Jinks. Birdie McAdam is a spunky orphan who takes pride in her work as a Bogle's girl, even if it puts her in danger. I loved Birdie's voice and experiencing the events of the story from her point of view. I would recommend the book for an older middle grader and lovers of the last books in the Harry Potter series.


Young Adult



When Keeley learns that her town is going to be flooded and turned into a lake, she uses her humor and adventurous nature to help her friends and family through the experience. The only problem is that some people don't want to laugh when it is time to say goodbye. Overall I enjoyed this book, though I did feel the final choices Keeley makes were not true to her character.

Natasha's family is being deported to Jamaica and she is racing against time trying to get the decision reversed. Daniel is interviewing for Yale to follow the future his Korean parents have placed on his shoulders. Is it chance or fate that brings them together on one of the most monumental days of their lives? You will have to read the book to decide. Told from multiple points of view, this is a story about love and choices. It took a few chapters for me to get into this book, but once I did I was hooked.


_______________________________


Stacy Barnett Mozer is a third grade teacher and a middle grade author. The Sweet Spot and The Perfect Trip are available now from Spellbound River Press. If you like what she's been reading follow her on Goodreads. Please leave a comment below. It's Monday, what are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about Happy Dreamer. I wouldn't expect anything less from Peter Reynolds. I need to get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved "The Last Fifth Grade" too, am reading an older verse novel now, Blue Birds by Caroline Starr Rose. How to Catch A Bogle sounds like it would fit many a Potter fan. And Happy Dreamer is one I need to see. Reynolds presents beautiful concepts for all of us to love. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Last Fifth Grade last week too and was really impressed by it. 18 different characters and voices, so many different poetic forms, and it all worked together beautifully. Love the idea of sharing a verse novel each week in April! I think I'm going to try to challenge myself to read and share more poetry this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter Reynolds has a way of just touching the heart! I cannot wait to read this one.
    I've wanted to read Last Fifth Grade since I first heard about it--thank you for reminding me :)

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my issues about Everything Everything, so I am a little hesitant to pick up The Sun Is Also A Star - but have noted how it seems to be universally enjoyed. :) Happy Dreamer looks like a fun title.

    ReplyDelete

You know you have something to say...