Welcome

This is the blog of children's book author and elementary school teacher, Stacy Barnett Mozer. I blog about my own writing journey, the journey of other kidlit authors, my classroom, and talk about books. Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are always welcome (and encouraged).

Monday, August 21, 2017

#IMWAYR August 21, 2017


Each week I join Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki from Unleashing Readers to share all of the reading I've done over the week from picture books to young adult novels. 

This week I spent time sorting through books in my new classroom. At one point I was so frustrated by the amount of books I asked the question on twitter, "Can a classroom library have too many books?" The overwhelming answer was no. But one person pointed out that while you can never have too many books, you can have too little space. Here's what I did with mine:




Here's what I read this week. Both are perfect additions to my character growth unit.

Graphic Novel


I really loved Shannon Hale's graphic memoir. It's the story of how she learned to understand friendship and to recognize and identify your real friends.

Middle Grade


Ravi is a boy who moved from India. He is expecting to be revered for his high intelligence like he was in his old school. Instead, he is met with criticism and prejudice. Joe has special learning needs that set him apart from his peers, even though he is one of the smartest among them. The two have many things in common, if they can see past the surface differences. 
_______________________________


Stacy Barnett Mozer is a teacher and a middle grade author. If you like what she's been reading follow her on Goodreads. Please leave a comment below and stop by the blog on Thursday for a new author interview. This week I'll be talking with author illustrator Stephanie Ruble. 

It's Monday, what are you reading?

7 comments:

  1. Save Me a Seat is a favorite of mine. I think it has an important message about understanding and accepting differences. I think Real Friends is going to be a popular read with students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm....I think I have the same problem - it's not that I have too many books, I just have too little space! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Save Me a Seat and I'm looking forward to reading Real Friends!
    As a retired teacher librarian, I think you can have too many books. Weeding is one of the most important parts of running a library. After I first started work in the library, a group of TL's came to help me weed. Shortly afterwards I had staff members telling me that they loved the new books in the poetry section. I hadn't bought new books at all, we just got rid of those titles that needed to be gone. It's a strange paradox that when you weed, circulation goes up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am super excited to get to Real Friends. I am a librarian and I also am of the opinion that there can be too many books. When there are too many, it makes it more difficult to find the gems. I could buy more shelves for my library, but actually, keeping it the same size forces me to go through and discard what needs to be discarded. If it's working for you, that's one thing, but as soon as it's too difficult to find things, some weeding might actually be helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the reading space! I would've crawled right into that tent and not come out as a child!
    Love the two books you read, I've had readers for both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed Save Me a Seat! Have you thought about applying to be a Cybils judge? You'll get a chance to look at lots and lots of books! http://www.cybils.com/2017/08/the-2017-cybils-call-for-judges-we-need-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still haven't read Save Me a Seat. I love hearing about units and what books are being used.

    ReplyDelete

You know you have something to say...