Welcome

This is the blog of children's book author and elementary school teacher, Stacy Barnett Mozer. I blog about my own writing journey, the journey of other kidlit authors, my classroom, and talk about books. Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are always welcome (and encouraged).

Monday, September 25, 2017

#IMWAYR September 25, 2017


Each week I join Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki from Unleashing Readers to share all of the reading I've done over the week from picture books to young adult novels. 

This week I had to put aside a book I had started to be prepared for school. My 5th graders are in a memoir and autobiography unit. They made predictions about an author's life and values by reading their novels. Next they will read the author's memoir or autobiography to find out if their predictions are on target. I used Jacqueline Woodson's picture books as mentor texts and will be reading aloud Brown Girl Dreaming. As an author, I love the concept of the unit and since I never assign students books I haven't read, I gave myself the goal of reading the four author's autobiographies my groups have chosen. 

Here's what I read this week:


Middle Grade Autobiography



Jean Little tells about her struggle as a cross-eyed child who was legally blind, what she learned about the world, people, and how books and story telling became her saviors. 


Jerry Spinelle's autobiography bounces around like a yo-yo, but by the time it is finished the reader understands why his stories are so rich with interesting details. He writes through the attic of his memories and is drawn to the way he wishes the past might have been.


Sid Fleischman's straight forward autobiography takes the reader on his path through magic and American history.

Middle Grade Fiction


Amica loves to sing but she has stage fright. When she is forced to take part in Quaran Competition, she is worried she is going to disappoint her family by freezing on stage. When her Islamic Center is vandalized she has to find a new kind of courage. A story of friendship, diversity, and finding your own voice.


Young Adult


In this twist on the story of Aladdin, the genie is a courageous girl who has fallen in love with her master.


Jane, Unlimited is a sliding doors story following the character Jane as she makes different choices of who to follow in the mysterious mansion she is visiting. 

Currently reading:


Still reading:




_______________________________


Stacy Barnett Mozer is a teacher and a middle grade author. If you like what she's been reading follow her on Goodreads. Please leave a comment below. 

It's Monday, what are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. Amina's Voice has been on our list to read - We have read so much about it. Thanks for reminding us about it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did love Amina's Voice, and remember enjoying Boy, but Dahl was not a very nice person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your memoir and autobiography unit sounds exciting. Lately I have been reading more and more graphic memoirs and loving them. I really enjoyed Amina's Voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amina's Voice keeps coming up again and again so guess it's a sign I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amina's Voice is a wonderful story. I love the memoirs you mentioned - Knots on a Yo-You String and Boy. I've used them both as mentor texts for teaching writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amina's Voice looks really interesting. I believe I own a copy of the Spinelli book for years now but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Soon, I hope.

    ReplyDelete

You know you have something to say...