Welcome

This is the blog of children's book author and elementary school teacher, Stacy Barnett Mozer. I blog about my own writing journey, the journey of other kidlit authors, my classroom, and talk about books. Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are always welcome (and encouraged).

Monday, September 4, 2017

#IMWAYR September 4, 2017


Each week I join Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki from Unleashing Readers to share all of the reading I've done over the week from picture books to young adult novels. 

Here's what I read this week:


Middle Grade


Jinny knows the rules: 
"Nine on an island, orphans all,
Any more the sky may fall." 
But now that she's the elder and it's almost her turn to leave the island she's called home, she's willing to risk anything to stay. Orphan Island is a story about growing up, becoming independent, and facing your inner demons. 



In this future society, words have become the enemy. As Wordsmith apprentice, Letta is the only child in the colony who knows more words than the List, a group of 500 words that are still legal. When she learns that the society's leader Noa wants to destroy language all together, she realizes she needs to take action to save the people from the war on words.


_______________________________


Stacy Barnett Mozer is a teacher and a middle grade author. If you like what she's been reading follow her on Goodreads. Please leave a comment below. 

It's Monday, what are you reading?

12 comments:

  1. The List sounds very intriguing. It's been on my radar, but there are just so many books to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have both of these, but just haven't gotten to them. I definitely want to read Orphan Island because everyone has such a strong opinion about it, and I want to see what I think. You're the first person I've seen write about The List, so now I am even more intrigued!

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Orphan Island, and hope that many kids will love it, too! Thanks for sharing The List! It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Orphan Island as well. And, I'm putting the List in my to be read pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these are on my TBR. I'm excited to see what i'll think of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just reading that Laurel Snyder is scribbling away and there may be a sequel to Orphan Island. I'm conflicted about this because I like the open ending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've kind of stopped reading Orphan Island. I liked it but I kept feeling like I needed to read other books so it kept getting pushed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The List sounds like a page-turner. Definitely adding that to my reading radar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVED Orphan Island. One of my favorites and I hope it gets Newbery love. Unfortunately, you either love it or you don't.
    I'm looking forward to The List. I have it, just not sure when I'll get to it. Now that school has started my middle grade reading has reached an all time low!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Has a long conversation with my public librarian about Orphan Island. Well done, we agreed, but not our thing. Is getting a LOT of love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The List made me think of Randall Munroe's book Thing Explainer -- everything explained in just 1000 words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The List sounds like it is perfect for our current reading theme - I shall definitely try to find it in our library.

    ReplyDelete

You know you have something to say...