Welcome

This is the blog of children's book author and elementary school teacher, Stacy Barnett Mozer. I blog about my own writing journey, the journey of other kidlit authors, my classroom, and talk about books. Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are always welcome (and encouraged).

Monday, March 12, 2018

#IMWAYR March 12, 2018


Each week I try to join Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee from Unleashing Readers to share all of the reading I've done over the week from picture books to young adult novels. Life has gotten in the way of weekly posting. Fortunately it has not gotten in the way of reading. Here's what I've been reading since my last post at the end of January.



Middle Grade


I am always looking for series for my Harry Potter fans and this is one I think they will enjoy. Denizen Hardwick is an orphan who is living in an orphanage because he has no family to speak of - or so he thought. When a mysterious aunt sends for him, Denizen quickly learns that he is no ordinary boy and that the family that abandoned him may have been trying to protect him. In book two, he has more challenges to face and more secrets to overcome. I'm looking forward to the next one.


This is another series that Harry Potter book 5 - 7 fans would enjoy. Danny's parents have always treated going out into storms as if they were trying to study an enemy. When he wakes up one morning and finds them gone, he is confused, but not surprised. That is until he picks up a stick and hears the tree in front of his house give her dying words. With the stick, Danny can talk to all kinds of things and the grass and his next door neighbors cat send him off on a journey to find his parents that will lead to many more unbelievable and dangerous things.

Young Adult


This dark historical fantasy from Libba Bray is as scary as a Stephen King novel. Full of great characters and some romance, fans of the Diviners will not be disappointed.


Book two of the Scythe series was not what I expected, but definitely the book I wanted to read. In Thunder Head, we learn more about this dystopian future and discover even more flaws in this "perfect" world. I think readers will be surprised by the ending. I can't wait for the next one.
_______________


Stacy Barnett Mozer is a teacher and a middle grade author. If you like what she's been reading follow her on Goodreads. Please leave a comment below. 

It's Monday, what are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to look into the two middle grade books. Like you said, it's good to have "other" books to hand off to fans of HP once they are done. I also like to tell them about the Unwanteds series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing about the Scythe series and I think I need to jump on that train. I also like that you're sharing books that will appeal to Harry Potter lovers. I'll take a look at these. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always good to have recommendations for those who love Harry Potter. I don't know either of these so I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh... I haven't read any of these books yet! I am a HUGE Neal Schusterman fan (all of his novels but especially the Unwind series), so I really want to read the Scythe series.

    Enjoy your books this week & thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am waiting until all the books in Neal Shusterman's series before I tackle them. I have both Scythe and Thunderhead now in my shelves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. young widows

    ReplyDelete

You know you have something to say...