Welcome

This is the blog of children's book author and elementary school teacher, Stacy Barnett Mozer. I blog about my own writing journey, the journey of other kidlit authors, my classroom, and talk about books. Thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are always welcome (and encouraged).

Monday, September 16, 2019

#IMWAYR September 16, 2019


Each week I try to join Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee from Unleashing Readers to share all of the reading I've done over the week from picture books to young adult novels. 

Here's what I read this week:

Upper Middle Grade/YA



Persepolis is a great example of how graphic novels are not easy, simple reads. It is the memoir of Majrjane Satrapi who grew up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. Marjane does a great job of addressing very serious situations in a way that an older middle-grader through adult would understand and appreciate. I would love to pair this book with It Ain't So Awful, Falafel because both show how the changes in 1970s Iran affected one girl living in America and one living in Iran.



_______________


Stacy Barnett Mozer is a teacher and a middle grade author. If you like what she's been reading follow her on Goodreads. Please leave a comment below. 

6 comments:

  1. I read Persepolis years ago, it was great and really opened my eyes to how expansive graphic novels can be. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grateful for how graphic novels are contributing to the study of history -- offering a persona backstory about someone's life or one small section of life that happened during an important time period. Sometimes these memoirs are the only thing that makes an impact on students. I'll have to add this one to my list, Stacy. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this title. It sounds insightful and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Persepolis and went on to read the sequel. I think there are many more, but never got around to reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too read the two books -- I haven't heard about there being more but I should check that out!

    ReplyDelete

You know you have something to say...